The controversial anti-illegal immigration law has caught the attention of many states in the U.S and Mexico. I am against the Senate Bill 1070 that was signed by the Gov. of Arizona, Jan Brewer. I am not for it because I believe that there hasn’t been enough effort in finding different ways to stop immigration. Yes I understand that they are desperate for this law but we have to face that facts that this law is unconstitutional and violates the rights given to the people (in the Fourth Amendment). The Justice Department filed a lawsuit against Arizona because they say that the new law violates the rule of “preemption”. Meaning that the state law is trying to take the precedence of the federal law.
I am aware of the guidelines that the Arizona police was given to enforce the SB 1070 so they can avoid racial profiling. My question is how exactly are they going to determine who is an illegal immigrant without actually having to discriminate? The law says the police must have a “reasonable suspicion” but if you think about it what may be reasonable for one person may not be reasonable for the other, this is when contradiction is brought up. I am aware that the protection and security of the citizens living in Arizona is important but we also must comprehend that this law is wrong and very discriminatory. We must build walls if they want protection, making a law that puts down a certain race will come back to bite you in the rear end. For example, Arizona is very dependent on Mexico when it comes to trading produce but with Mexico boycotting Arizona no trading will be done and thus Arizona will lose money and make their economy hurt. Overall Arizona will lose $4.5 billion worth of products that is shipped to Mexico. Once this law takes its effect on July 29 we will see that Arizona really needs the immigrants.
Citation
"Hispanics Abandon Arizona, Fleeing Economy, Immigration Law - CSMonitor.com." The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com. Web. 13 July 2010.
"Arizona Immigration Law: Will Mexico Boycotts Cripple Trade? - CSMonitor.com." The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com. Web. 14 July 2010.
No comments:
Post a Comment